Yes, just like you, I have read numerous articles about the benefits and necessity of search engine optimization (SEO). Search engine optimization is a technique of selecting specific keywords that position your website to be found easily and quickly by web surfers. And anyone who has a website with a product or service to sell wants to attract more web surfers, i.e., traffic.
But what is the reality of reaching a number 1 position on any of the big three search engines - Google, Yahoo, and MSN - and staying there? Somewhere between a remote possibility to impossible.
Why? Because there are well over 16 million websites battling for the number 1 position on ";any"; given day. Talk about too much competition for one, unique goal. You'd have more luck betting on the lottery, a game of blackjack, or a horse race.
It's true, my opinion runs against the tide of SEO advocates - but let your own experience speak for itself. Are you number one on any of the big three? Do you understand the Google sandbox? Most people don't. It is absolutely a waste of your online time to get caught up in this mania when there are sane alternatives available.
";So Gary, what's the solution";? I am glad you asked. Let's take a look at some ";realistic"; and doable activities that will bring you increased web traffic.
You can ...
1) Develop or buy a valuable, high demand product to sell (Ex: Microsoft Windows software)
2) Write great, useful news content for your readers (CNN.com and USA Today.com)
3) Create a web tool with great content that people need (Yahoo.com)
4) Devise a unique business model for an old market concept (auctions on ebay.com)
5) Get a cutting edge product or service that has an absolute or near monopoly and has mass-market appeal.
6) Write content-rich articles in an area in which you are the expert and submit them to related websites.
7) Write a weekly, monthly, or bi-monthly newsletter related to your interests.
8) Ask other webmasters to exchange their website addresses with yours.
9) Submit a free ebook that you have written to other websites with your website address and contact information included in the ebook.
10) Provide a free service to your niche market and submit ads to other websites.
11) Sell hard-to-find products at an attractive price.
12) Advertise on other websites, like Dollarsforever.com
These dozen ideas are only a handful of traffic attracting solutions for your website. Choose as many as you like. The end result should be more visitors to your website who are interested in what YOU have to offer.
Good luck and success!
About the Author
2005 Dollarsforever.com -- All rights reserved worldwide
Gary Cain is a business teacher and Internet marketer. He is the author of Stop the Grammar! as well as Internet Self Defense the only Internet book of its kind designed to help fight spam, fraud, information theft, and clone web sites.