| We all know that Spring is the time for rebirth and kites but, to me, it is the time for Baseball Season to begin!|
Did you know that you could implement baseball (or any sport, for that matter) across the curriculum? Here are just a few ideas.
1. Reading - Read about your favorite players, teams, and stadiums. Alphabetize the names of all the teams. Sequence how to play the game. Predict the outcome of your team's year. Will they make it to the playoffs? Have a cause and effect discussion about a team's possible move.
2. Writing - Write to your favorite team to wish them a good year and let them know you are cheering for them.
3. Math - Play baseball by dividing your class into two teams. You be the pitcher and throw out math problems (addition, multiplication...whatever you are studying or reviewing). If the batter answers correctly, it is a single. If someone calls out an answer, it is an automatic double. If you give a two-part problem, count it as a triple. Ask a story problem for home runs. HAVE FUN! (NOTE: This game adapts well to any subject.)
4. Social Studies - On a map of America, color the states where the teams are located (perhaps red for American League teams and blue for National League teams). If a state has both leagues represented, color half the state in each color.
5. Community Involvement - Arrange for a player or other team representative to visit your class, grade group, or school. If you do not have a national baseball team, how about a high school or college team? How about a different sport?
I hope you have found these ideas useful. Remember, Reading is FUNdamental!!
About the Author
Freda J. Glatt, MS, retired from teaching after a 34-year career in Early-Childhood and Elementary Education. Her focus, now, is to reach out and help others reinforce reading comprehension and develop a love for reading. Visit her site at http://www.sandralreading.com. Reading is FUNdamental!
Demystifying Resume Keywords
Many recruiters are now opting to scan applicant resumes into a computerized screening database system in their endeavors to simplify the screening and selection process. For a job seeker this means that when developing their resume they must not...
New Age Piano Tricks
One of the things that makes New Age piano so enjoyable is that it's easy to get started. One of the "tricks" of the trade is to play an ostinato pattern in the left-hand while the right improvises a melody. Just listen to George Winston's lovely...
Senior Approved Services Announces Hiring of Marketing/Sales Associates
“We received nearly 3,000 phone calls from seniors and their family caregivers in the past twelve months searching for elder care services that were Certified Senior Approved”, states Barbara Mascio, founder of Senior Approved Services. “Clearly we...
Online Degree Program and Online Degree Programs
Online degree program is a good choice for busy individual's seeking a degree and continuing their education. There are many institutions online that offer online degree programs. There are many reasons for pursuing an online degree program....
Find Answers to Common Interview Questions
When you’re looking for a job, it’s wise to find a list of interview questions that an employer may ask so that you have a general idea of how you’re going to answer them. While answering interview questions is never easy, you can become more...